For many, the pandemic has done nothing but increase our sense of “busyness” due to disrupted work routines and shifting priorities. The ability to think and strategize for the future was hijacked by constantly shifting restrictions and workplace changes.
Coworking spaces like Green Hills Office Suites have become part of the “new normal” for many small businesses and have supported work-life balance by providing flexible office solutions to suit most business needs.
What is Busyness?
Busyness is a term in today’s vernacular and refers to the feeling of being constantly busy without rest or a break in the routine. The problem with busyness is what happens at the other end of the rope—burnout. When you get to that stage, you are introducing symptoms that could lead to long-term mental and physical health issues.
Here are some key signs of mental fatigue or burnout:
- Decreased motivation to start or finish new work.
- A nagging feeling of self-doubt and failure, interfering with creativity and purpose.
- Negativity in your overall outlook towards work, home life, and the world in general.
- Anxiety and persistent insomnia or general constant fatigue.
Many of us have experienced these side effects to some degree. Understanding that entrepreneurs need a lot of discipline to maintain a healthy work/life balance is vital for avoiding burnout.
The question of what can be done to avoid burnout in a hectic lifestyle doesn’t have a one-solution answer. Burnout happens differently and at a different rate depending on the person.
How can we avoid burnout and learn to live a more balanced life? The first step is to recognize that you are burned out. Unchecked stress leads to burnout over time and is not always easy to diagnose.
We tend to neglect our physical condition when we’re overworked, so forcing ourselves to make time for the following suggestions is vital to regaining a foothold on our work and life balance.
Here are some strategies to help combat busyness and burnout:
- Exercise several minutes (or more) per day, whether walking around the block or hitting the gym for some genuine stress-busting activity. It’s good for the heart and mind!
- Consume more nutritious and balanced meals. Omega-3-rich foods act as a natural antidepressant and help to give our moods a boost. Try adding flaxseed oil, fish, and nuts, like walnuts, to your diet.
- Improve your sleeping habits. Go to bed earlier and avoid screens for an hour before sleep. Consult a physician if you are experiencing insomnia.
- Talk to someone, like a psychologist or counsellor, to help navigate priorities and learn stress-relieving strategies.
- Be kind to yourself. Understand that while we can’t always be in control of situations around us, we have support close at hand. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, delegate tasks, and give yourself a break.
Living a busy life is not easy, and if we aren’t careful, we can quickly become consumed in our busyness, neglecting other important aspects of our lives. When you need a break from your routine but are worried about leaving your office, missing important calls, or not catching the latest emails, Green Hills Office Suites can help. Our highly trained staff and virtual office services can give you the break you need to refresh your outlook and come back energized.